UNC Charlotte community grieves the the loss, injury of students
UNC Charlotte Chancellor Philip Dubois announced Thursday that the classroom in the Kennedy building where last month’s shooting occurred will not be used for any purpose during the 2019-2020 school year.
This decision, announced in a letter to the UNC Charlotte community, comes on the one-month anniversary of the shooting and after the first meeting of the Niner Nation Remembrance Commission on Wednesday. Dubois created the commission to determine the best way to respond to the tragedy and memorialize the two students who were killed and the four who were injured.
The commission has not yet determined the future of the room, Kennedy 236, but any classes that were supposed to be held there will be relocated, said Buffie Stephens, a spokesperson for UNC Charlotte. In his letter, Dubois said he is waiting for advice from the commission before making a final recommendation, and he took a moment to reflect on the anniversary.
“We react differently, and we require different kinds of support,” he said, encouraging anyone who may need it to review information from the university’s Counseling and Psychological Services and to reach out if they need help.
He said the administration is working to put together safety training for faculty and staff before the start of the upcoming school year and in the fall. The remembrance commission also discussed further research that needs to be done at its meeting Wednesday, but his letter did not disclose specifics.
“The days ahead will continue to present challenges, but I remain confident we will rise to them together,” Dubois said.
The commission will reconvene in August.