Local

Oak Island shark attack survivor describes ordeal and recovery on CNN

The 16-year-old boy who survived a shark attack in Oak Island last month described his encounter and recovery in an interview with Anderson Cooper broadcast Monday on CNN.

Hunter Treschl, who lives in Colorado, said he was preparing to leave the beach by washing off the sand on his body when he was attacked. He said he was crouching down in three-foot-deep water when he felt something big move against his ankles.

“It just jumped out of the water and grabbed my arm,” he said.

Hunter was the second shark attack victim that day. Ninety minutes earlier, 12-year-old Kiersten Yow of Archdale was attacked and also lost an arm.

Hunter told CNN that he actually saw the helicopter carrying Kiersten to the hospital fly above him without knowing what was going on.

He’s now recovering, and will ultimately be fitted for a prosthetic arm. Hunter is practicing for his driver’s test and says he isn’t giving up on his goals.

“I’ve never been the type to get down about things,” he said.

Part of the interview appears below. You can watch the full interview here.

  Comments