North Carolina National Guard leaders spent the weekend reviewing security at recruitment centers and other facilities across the state.
On Sunday, Gov. Pat McCrory formally ordered tighter security measures at the state’s National Guard facilities. The directive was in response to last week’s shootings at military recruiting centers in Tennessee that left four Marines and one sailor dead.
Lt. Col. Matt DeVivo said Monday that the Guard worked with the state’s Department of Public Safety and Governor’s Office to determine what changes were needed. He declined to elaborate on what those were.
McCrory’s order calls for stepped-up security at recruiting centers, armories and readiness centers. McCrory says the state will be vigilant in protecting those people who protect the state’s citizens.
The North Carolina National Guard maintains a facility in west Charlotte.
The Associated Press contributed.