Local

3 treated for smoke inhalation in Hickory fire

Three residents were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire caused by an unattended candle heavily damaged an apartment in Hickory on Thursday, fire officials said.

One of the residents was later taken to the hospital for further evaluation, Terri Byers of the Hickory Fire Department said.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire in a downstairs apartment at the Valley Creek Apartments in the 600 block of Seventh Avenue Southeast. An apartment above the one in which the fire started sustained smoke damage, Byers said.

Joe Marusak: 704-358-5067, @jmarusak

  Comments