Local

Fire damages Hindu Center of Charlotte

Food left cooking unattended outside caused $10,000 in damage to the Hindu Center of Charlotte on Thursday morning, fire officials said.
Food left cooking unattended outside caused $10,000 in damage to the Hindu Center of Charlotte on Thursday morning, fire officials said. Charlotte Fire Department

Food left cooking unattended outside started a fire that caused $10,000 in damage to the Hindu Center of Charlotte on Thursday morning, fire officials said.

The center is in the 7400 block of City View Drive, off Independence Boulevard and East W.T. Harris Boulevard.

Twenty-six firefighters controlled the blaze in 10 minutes, Charlotte Fire Capt. Jackie Gilmore said. No injuries were reported, he said.

The fire started shortly before 9:30 a.m., Gilmore said. Fire and heavy smoke were seen coming from the center’s large worship house as firefighters arrived, WBTV, the Observer’s news partner, reported.

Joe Marusak: 704-358-5067, @jmarusak

  Comments