Wrecks started climbing in the Charlotte area as motorists began their morning commute Friday.
By 7 a.m., police reported a traffic accident on Bill Lee Freeway near Huntersville, where congestion has started building, and a wreck on Pineville-Matthews Road at Beverly Crest Boulevard, near Legacy Arboretum apartments.
A traffic light malfunction was reported on Beatties Ford Road, and police were also investigating a crash on University City Boulevard.
Throughout the morning, accidents were reported on:
▪ Beatties Ford and McIlwane roads in Huntersville
▪ Mallard Creek and Hubbard roads
▪ 11240 N. Tryon St.
▪ 100 Red Roof Drive
▪ 9100 Monroe Road
▪ I-77 at exit 10C ramp
▪ Sardis Road and Kingsdown Avenue
▪ Monroe Road and Covedale Drive
▪ East W.T. Harris Boulevard
▪ East Independence Boulevard
▪ Soutb Boulevard and Sharon Lakes Road
▪ Lawyers and Albemarle roads
▪ Beatties Ford and Bud Henderson roads in Huntersville
▪ Old Statesville Road and Bob Beatty Road
▪ 5301 & 5327 Albemarle Road
▪ Cedars East Court and Idlewild Road
▪ 4301 Sandy Porter Road
Big game will bring big traffic delays
If you’ve lived here more than a week, then you know what happens when the Carolina Panthers play a home game: massive bumper-to-bumper traffic.
So if you happen to stick around uptown Charlotte past about 5 p.m. Friday, expect delays, because you’re not going to be moving anywhere fast.
The Panthers will play the New England Patriots, currently reigning Super Bowl champions, at the Bank of America Stadium Friday night. It’s the third preseason game – often called a “dress rehearsal”.
Lanes will be blocked and police will be on hand to divert motorists. Watch out for a mass of pedestrians crossing the street and find less-crowded alternate routes if you can.
The game starts at 7:30 p.m.