The weather forced these cancellations and closings:
▪ Saturday’s Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.
▪ The opening of the Carolina Renaissance Festival until Sunday.
▪ Saturday’s English Tea at the Charlotte Museum of History.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Norsan Media’s fourth annual Hola Charlotte Hispanic Heritage Festival on Saturday. The festival has been moved to noon-7 p.m. Oct. 18 in uptown.
▪ Rural Hill Amazing Maize Maze in Huntersville cancelled this weekend, resumes next Saturday and Sunday.
▪ The Great Grapes Wine and Food Festival scheduled for Saturday has been rescheduled for Oct. 17 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. The festival will take place at Symphony Park, 5440 Carnegie Blvd.
▪ The Davidson Farmers Market Saturday morning.
▪ Sunday’s East Lincoln CROP Hunger Walk.
▪ Saturday’s 8th Annual Festival of Bands at Hickory Ridge High’s stadium in Harrisburg.
▪ Appalachian State University’s annual homecoming parade Friday, but Saturday’s game against Wyoming is still on for 3:30 p.m.
▪ This weekend’s nighttime Ghost Train Halloween Festival events at Tweetsie Railroad in Blowing Rock, although the park is expected to be open during the day.
▪ Saturday’s Catawba County Community Resource Expo at Newton-Conover High.
Intending to stay open:
▪ The Matthews Community Farmers Market and The Charlotte Regional Farmers Market. The NoDa Farmers Market, which is usually outside, will be inside the Neighborhood Theater, right next door, 511 E. 36th St.
▪ Saturday’s 17th Annual Charlotte Oktoberfest at the NC Music Factory.
High school football:
▪ Eight area games were moved to Thursday night and several games scheduled for Friday, including the Sweet 16 showdown between A.L. Brown and Vance, have been moved.
Some games were moved up, including South Iredell at West Iredell, which will kick off 30 minutes earlier at 7 p.m.
▪ Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools’ athletics director Sue Doran said individual schools will determine if CMS games are rescheduled. Athletics directors told the Observer that these games will definitely be played tonight: West Mecklenburg at Providence; Garinger at Rocky River; Hopewell at Mallard Creek; and Olympic at Ardrey Kell.
▪ Sweet 16 No. 7 A.L. Brown at No. 6 Vance was postponed Friday. The teams will meet Monday at 7 p.m. at Rocky River. South Mecklenburg at Berry was also postponed. That game will be played Monday at 7 p.m. at Mallard Creek.
▪ Union County Schools officials canceled all games and practices and open gyms Friday and Saturday. County athletics director Doug Jones said no Union County football games were scheduled Friday. Weddington, Piedmont and Porter Ridge were the only Union County teams with games scheduled this week in football and all played Thursday. Staff reports
Email us your closings
Email closings to email@example.com