Local

SouthPark reveals cause of carbon monoxide buildup that injured 4

SouthPark mall will open at its regular time of 10 a.m. on Friday, after a carbon monoxide leak late Thursday sent four people to the hospital with potentially life-threatening injuries.
SouthPark mall will open at its regular time of 10 a.m. on Friday, after a carbon monoxide leak late Thursday sent four people to the hospital with potentially life-threatening injuries. WBTV

Construction workers failed to properly ventilate a retail space under construction at SouthPark mall Thursday night, leading to what firefighters said was a buildup of carbon monoxide that sent four people to the hospital.

In a statement shortly before noon Friday, SouthPark’s management said those taken to the hospital have been released and the incident is resolved.

“Our top priority at SouthPark is always to provide a safe, quality-shopping environment for our shoppers and mall employees,” the statement said. “Last night’s incident took place in a retailer space under construction and was a result of construction workers not properly ventilating the space.

“SouthPark mall management and security worked closely with the Charlotte Fire Department to take the appropriate measures to help ensure the safety of those individuals in the mall,” the statement said.

SouthPark opened at its regular time of 10 a.m. Friday.

On Thursday night, firefighters found high levels of carbon monoxide in the mall, and it took 40 firefighters to bring the situation under control, Capt. Jackie Gilmore of the Charlotte Fire Department said in a statement.

The injured had potentially life-threatening injuries when they were taken to the hospital, Medic said.

Firefighters monitored conditions throughout the night and reported that all was clear, Gilmore said.

According to WBTV, the Observer’s news partner, several emergency vehicles were parked outside the food court late Thursday, near Dick’s Sporting Goods. Sirens could be heard going off inside the mall.

Joe Marusak: 704-358-5067, @jmarusak

  Comments