Local

Fire captain: Discarded smoking materials started south Charlotte apartment fire

Discarded smoking materials caused a fire that damaged four units in an apartment complex on Countrymens Court off Sharon Lakes Road in south Charlotte early Wednesday, Capt. Jackie Gilmore of the Charlotte Fire Department said.
Discarded smoking materials caused a fire that damaged four units in an apartment complex on Countrymens Court off Sharon Lakes Road in south Charlotte early Wednesday, Capt. Jackie Gilmore of the Charlotte Fire Department said. Charlotte Fire Department

Discarded smoking materials caused a fire that damaged four units in an apartment complex on Countrymens Court off Sharon Lakes Road in south Charlotte early Wednesday, Capt. Jackie Gilmore of the Charlotte Fire Department said.

No one was injured, but the American Red Cross helped two displaced adults.

The fire started about 3:30 a.m. Twenty-six firefighters controlled the blaze in 28 minutes, Gilmore said. The fire caused an estimated $30,000 in damages, the captain said.

Cleanup from the fire closed Sharon Lakes Road for several hours.

Joe Marusak

  Comments