The nation will honor U.S. military servicemen and women on Wednesday. Locally, Mecklenburg County government offices, libraries and some recreation centers will observe Veterans Day for the first time.
The city of Charlotte will be open. Solid waste collection in the city will be done on a regular schedule. Outside Charlotte, check with your town for its collection schedule.
Mecklenburg County closings include the Department of Social Services, Land Use and Environmental Services Agency, health department, tax office, solid waste facilities and administrative offices, register of deeds office and park and recreation’s administrative offices.
Mecklenburg County recreation and senior centers will be closed, but nature centers will stay open.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Earlier this year, Commissioners Chairman Trevor Fuller pushed to make Veterans Day a paid county holiday. County Manager Dena Diorio’s leadership team had already discussed adding another county holiday, and Veterans Day emerged as the popular choice.
Here’s a list of what will be open and closed on Nov. 11:
▪ Federal offices: Closed.
▪ North Carolina and South Carolina state offices: Closed.
▪ Charlotte city offices: Open.
▪ Mecklenburg County offices: Closed.
▪ Mecklenburg County courts: Closed.
▪ Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools: Closed.
▪ Charlotte-Mecklenburg libraries: Closed.
▪ Banks: Closed.
▪ Postal Service: Closed.
▪ Solid waste collection (Charlotte): Normal schedule.
▪ Ray’s Splash Planet: 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
▪ Marion Diehl Center: 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
▪ Grayson SkatePark: 9 a.m.-6 p.m.
▪ CharMeck 311: 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
▪ DSS Care Line: 704-336-2273