Unattended cooking caused a fire that left six families homeless at a west Charlotte apartment complex early Saturday, said Capt. Jackie Gilmore of the Charlotte Fire Department. No injuries were reported.
The apartments are in the 5100 block of Brooktree Drive, off Toddville Road and Freedom Drive.
The fire started about 2:30 a.m. and caused $75,000 damage, Gilmore said.
Forty-eight firefighters controlled the blaze in 20 minutes, Gilmore said, and the American Red Cross is helping the families.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer