Local

S.C. students experience rash after wrong chemical used to clean toilets

Dozens of students at Harrisburg Elementary in Indian Land, S.C., complained of a rash on their legs after a cleaning company used the wrong chemical to clean toilets and seats.

An incident report by GCA Services Group, under contract to clean the Lancaster County school, explained that the evening supervisor inadvertently provided workers with the wrong chemical to clean restrooms. The chemical’s concentration also was not properly diluted, the report said.

The school notified parents after the mistake was discovered.

One parent said her child reported itching and burning on her lower leg after the exposure. About 32 students reported similar symptoms – more than 300 had come into contact with the seats, the school’s principal said.

The chemical used was Consume Eco-lyzer, a disinfectant that helps control odor, GCA said. None of the students were seriously injured.

WBTV

  Comments