One student and the driver of a pickup truck were treated at the scene after the truck rear-ended a CMS bus in the 3600 block of Central Avenue Wednesday morning.
The collision happened about 7:45 a.m.
On its Twitter account, Medic reported “no serious injuries” from the wreck.
The bus was headed to Merry Oaks International Academy Elementary with about 40 students aboard, according to WBTV, the Observer’s media partner. The school is on Draper Avenue near Eastway and Central.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The outbound lanes on Central were closed for about 2 blocks, just before Eastway Drive. The lanes reopened by 8:15 a.m.
Shortly before 8:30 a.m., police responded to injury wrecks on northbound Interstate 85 at Freedom Drive and on Nations Ford Road at Red Roof Drive.
In other traffic news, to accommodate construction for the Lynx Blue Line extension, part of the intersection of Institute Circle and North Tryon Street will close at 9 a.m. Wednesday until 4 p.m. March 13:
▪ North Tryon drivers will be unable to make U-turns at Institute Circle.
▪ Drivers will be able to turn left on Institute Circle into Mallard Pointe Shopping Center.
▪ Institute Circle will be closed at the traffic circle on UNC Charlotte’s campus. Vehicles, bikes and pedestrians must detour via Robert D. Snyder Road and J.W. Clay Boulevard.
▪ All access to UNC Charlotte’s campus from North Tryon Street will be via J.W. Clay Boulevard.
▪ Southbound drivers will be able to make U-turns at J.W. Clay Boulevard.
The contractor will grade the intersection to its final elevation for light rail track installation.
Access to homes will be maintained, and CATS will remain unaffected.