York man charged in Rock Hill shooting that killed friend


A York man has been arrested in connection with a string of shootings in Rock Hill that left one dead and several injured.

Quintonio Bernard Porter, 23, was being held Sunday at the York County Detention Center on a charge of attempted murder. Porter also faces charges of possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime, unlawful carrying of a pistol and drug crimes.

Rock Hill police say Porter was the second man in a car with 18-year-old Jarrius Harding when gunfire erupted Friday afternoon at the intersection of Keels Avenue and Black Street.

Police said Sunday that Porter opened fire on unknown individuals at the intersection around 12:48 p.m. He was struck in the leg by a bullet in the shootout, then drove a car with Harding and another person to the 600 block of Cauthen Street, where emergency responders found them. Harding died from injuries he received in the exchange, and Porter was transported to Piedmont Medical Center. Authorities said a third man in the car was not injured and was taken to police headquarters for questioning.

When investigators determined Porter’s involvement in the shooting, he was arrested, denied bond in a municipal court hearing and taken to the York County Detention Center on Sunday morning. In addition to the weapons charges, he faces charges of possession of crack with intent to distribute and possession of another controlled substance with intent to distribute. Both are second-offense charges, according to a media release from the Rock Hill Police Department.

Porter’s arrest comes days after four separate shooting incidents across Rock Hill left one dead and four injured in a matter of hours.

On Thursday night, Rock Hill police were called to three different homes in quick succession for reported shootings.

Three people were injured at a home on the 900 block of Arlington Avenue around 8:20 p.m. They were transported to Piedmont Medical Center with injuries that weren’t life-threatening. One person was shot in the arm and another two were grazed by flying bullets.

At about the same time as the Arlington Avenue shooting, police were called to another reported shooting, at a home on Lige Street. Seven people, including a 3-year-old and a 5-year-old, were inside the home on the 600 block of Lige Street when shots were fired into it, but no one was injured.

That same night, police were called to a third shooting, at 10:50 p.m. on the 1100 block of Pearson Drive. Five people in that home escaped injury.

Finally, police responded just after noon Friday to the shooting on Keels Avenue, where they found several shell casings in the roadway. A short time later, several residents in the 600 block of Cauthen Street placed 911 calls requesting EMS.

Harding’s death was the city’s first homicide of 2016. Police have been unable to say whether all four shootings were connected. The cases remain under investigation.

Bristow Marchant: 803-329-4062, @BristowatHome