Local

Child helps family escape flames as Belmont home burns

Carter Englert, 6, alerted his mom and grandmother to a fire in their home in Belmont, Gaston County
Carter Englert, 6, alerted his mom and grandmother to a fire in their home in Belmont, Gaston County WBTV

Family members say a Belmont child can be credited for saving his mother and grandmother from a fire Thursday night.

Six-year-old Carter Englert was the only one who noticed the fire starting in his home on Clay Street.

“I was in the bathtub,” said Carter’s mother, Brianna Hurley. “My mom was asleep, and he came and he told us there was a fire and he got us to get up and get out.”

Carter led his family to safety as the home went up in flames.

“I was like really scared because I had never even seen a fire before,” Carter said.

Firefighters said the family’s home is a total loss. Two of the family’s cats perished in the blaze.

“Thirty seconds after we came out here, the roof started collapsing ... so I’m just glad that we got out when we did,” Hurley said.

She said many of the family’s possessions were lost in the fire, but she knows that her loved ones are safe, thanks to her son.

“He’s my hero,” she said, “my baby.”

The Red Cross is assisting the family with relief efforts. Hurley said the family will stay in a hotel while they look for a new place to live.

WBTV is a media partner of The Charlotte Observer

  Comments