Two Charlotte firefighters were injured Friday after smoke from a three-alarm “giant grease fire” from 131 Main restaurant on East Boulevard forced evacuations of the restaurant and two apartment buildings. Fire Chief Jon Hannan said the fire broke out in a kitchen vent duct, filling condos above and next door with smoke. One resident in the 1320 Fillmore Avenue condos next door said she’s had to evacuate three times in the past five years because of grease fires at 131 Main. Hannan said residents would not be allowed to return to their condos until they’re declared safe.
Two Charlotte firefighters were injured Friday after smoke from a three-alarm “giant grease fire” from 131 Main restaurant on East Boulevard forced evacuations of the restaurant and two apartment buildings. Fire Chief Jon Hannan said the fire broke out in a kitchen vent duct, filling condos above and next door with smoke. One resident in the 1320 Fillmore Avenue condos next door said she’s had to evacuate three times in the past five years because of grease fires at 131 Main. Hannan said residents would not be allowed to return to their condos until they’re declared safe. Mark Hames mhames@charlotteobserver.com
Two Charlotte firefighters were injured Friday after smoke from a three-alarm “giant grease fire” from 131 Main restaurant on East Boulevard forced evacuations of the restaurant and two apartment buildings. Fire Chief Jon Hannan said the fire broke out in a kitchen vent duct, filling condos above and next door with smoke. One resident in the 1320 Fillmore Avenue condos next door said she’s had to evacuate three times in the past five years because of grease fires at 131 Main. Hannan said residents would not be allowed to return to their condos until they’re declared safe. Mark Hames mhames@charlotteobserver.com

Smoke from ‘giant grease fire’ forces evacuations

April 01, 2016 07:51 PM