Local

Rain expected to follow a sunny, warm Friday in Charlotte

WBTV First Alert Weather forecast for 04.29.16

WBTV meteorologist Al Conklin with The Charlotte Observer weather forecast for April 29, 2016.
Up Next
WBTV meteorologist Al Conklin with The Charlotte Observer weather forecast for April 29, 2016.

After a warm and mostly sunny Friday, the Charlotte region can finally expect some much-needed rain over the weekend.

Rainfall measured at Charlotte Douglas International Airport is nearly 5 inches below normal this year – 8.88 inches compared with 13.60 inches.

And the U.S. Drought Monitor classifies the region as “abnormally dry,” the lowest of five drought stages.

Friday should be sunny with a high of 85 before clouds begin to move in at night. The normal high is 75.

Saturday has a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms from 9 to 11 a.m., a 40 percent chance in the afternoon and a 60 percent chance at night, according to the National Weather Service in Greer, S.C.

Showers and thunderstorms are more likely Sunday, when the chance rises to 70 percent for much of the morning and afternoon.

The chance of rain is then expected to fall to 40 percent Monday and 30 percent Tuesday.

Temperatures, meanwhile, are forecast to ease a bit over the weekend, with expected highs of 79 Saturday and Sunday, 80 Monday, 74 Tuesday and 75 Wednesday and Thursday.

Joe Marusak: 704-358-5067, @jmarusak

  Comments