Local

Fumes force evacuation of J.V. Washam Elementary in Cornelius

Fumes were reported in the kitchen at J.V. Washam Elementary Monday, causing an evacuation.
Fumes were reported in the kitchen at J.V. Washam Elementary Monday, causing an evacuation. WBTV

Students at J.V. Washam Elementary School in Cornelius were evacuated from the building around 8:30 a.m. Monday after fumes were reported in the cafeteria.

“All of the students are safe,” said Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools spokeswoman Vicki Grooms of the 1,012 enrollees.

School started at 7:45 a.m., Grooms said. Charlotte Fire Department was still on the scene around 10 a.m. trying to determine the source of the fumes. Students were waiting outside the building at 9611 Westmoreland Road.

Karen Sullivan: 704-358-5532, @Sullivan_kms

  Comments