Boy, 12, killed while trick-or-treating

Seeing masked people outside, a Sumter man opened fire with an assault rifle through his closed front door, killing a 12-year-old boy who was trick-or-treating on Halloween, police said.

Tony Darrisaw, known as “T.J.,” was with his father and two of his brothers trick-or-treating, said his mother, 33-year-old Daphne Grinnell. She was waiting in a minivan outside with his 2-year-old brother.

“He was a wonderful child,” said Grinnell, who tried administering first-aid while talking to a 911 dispatcher. “He was just having fun, running from house to house trick-or-treating.”

The boy died of a gunshot wound to the head at Tuomey Regional Medical Center shortly after the 8:30 p.m. shooting, Sumter Police Chief Patty Patterson said.

He was shot 13 times.

His brother, 9-year-old Ahmadre Darrisaw, was shot in the leg and the side, and his father, 31-year-old Freddie Grinnell Jr., was shot in the arm and grazed in the stomach, family members said. Both were released from the hospital early Saturday, Patterson said.

More than 29 shots were fired from an AK-47 through the door, walls and windows, police said. The rifle and a 9-millimeter handgun were found inside the home.

Quentin L. Patrick, 22, is charged with murder and three counts of assault and battery with intent to kill, Patterson said. Patrick has multiple convictions for possession with intent to distribute, is a felon and is prohibited from possessing a firearm, police said.

Patrick and his live-in girlfriend, 19-year-old Ericka Patrice Pee, are at Sumter-Lee Regional Detention Center. They were home with her 2-year-old daughter and tried to leave the house after the shootings, after grabbing $7,500, police said. Pee is charged with obstruction of justice.

“Patrick admitted to law enforcement that he fired his AK-47 weapon, emptying the weapon,” Patterson said. “Patrick advised law enforcement that he had been shot before and would not be shot again.” He also feared being robbed, he told police.

T.J. and his older brother were dressed as members of the JabbaWockeeZ, from MTV's “America's Best Dance Crew,” whose members wear white masks. Ahmadre was dressed as the Grim Reaper.

Their father did not dress up.

They stopped at several houses and saw that Patrick's house had the front porch light on, so T.J. knocked on the door.

“We stood there for a second and fireworks went off,” his father said. “We thought someone was throwing fireworks so we backed off the porch.”

But it was gunshots. His mother headed toward the porch and saw T.J. falling back off it, she said.

“Blood was everywhere,” she said. “He was breathing and his legs was moving and when I pulled his mask off he had a bullet hole over his eye.”

His mother was told by a 911 dispatcher to apply pressure to his head.

“I started freaking out because nothing was happening,” she said. She ran to the van and found Ahmadre was inside and had been shot in the leg. A woman gave her something to try and tie around her son's leg.

T.J. was in the seventh grade at Bates Middle School, where he was on the drill team. He was looking forward to joining the wrestling program in the winter.

“He was a mama's boy,” his mother said. “He liked to be in the kitchen with mama and cook and bake. He loved to cook cake and pies as long as he could lick the bowl.”