South Carolina formally requested the extradition of homicide suspect Malcolm Hartley from North Carolina on Friday with an exchange of paperwork between the states’ two governors.
Gov. Nikki Haley of South Carolina sent what is known as a “governor’s warrant” to her North Carolina counterpart Gov. Pat McCrory, asking his state to recognize South Carolina’s warrant for Hartley’s arrest.
The 21-year-old Charlotte man was charged in January with the October slayings of Doug and Debbie London of Lake Wylie. A Mecklenburg prosecutor said last week that the Londons were shot in their home to keep them from testifying against three men accused of trying to rob the couple’s mattress store on South Boulevard.
Briana Johnson, 19, of Concord, also faces murder charges in the case. The charges will be handled by York County Solicitor Kevin Brackett. He said this week that he has not decided whether he will ask for the death penalty.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Hartley’s extradition hearing is scheduled for March 12.
Meanwhile, three suspects – all from Charlotte – face federal charges in connection with the attempted May robbery of the Mattress Wholesale Outlet: Jamell Cureton, his brother Nana Adoma, and David Lee Fudge.
In court documents, prosecutors describe Fudge as a high-ranking member of United Blood Nation, an East Coast gang with strong criminal ties to the Charlotte area.
Cureton and Doug London exchanged gunshots during the confrontation, which left Cureton wounded, authorities said.
The three defendants are scheduled to appear in federal court March 16.