Crime & Courts

SC officer accused of child neglect out on bond; no bond for husband

Audrey Schurig
Audrey Schurig Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police

A former Chester police officer accused of child neglect was allowed to post a $1,000 cash bond in Charlotte on Thursday morning, then turned herself in to authorities in York County, where she was able to post bond again and be released.

Audrey Schurig, 36, who resigned Tuesday from the Chester Police Department, is charged along with the baby’s father, Robert Jeffrey Taylor, 45, in connection with serious injuries sustained by their infant son.

Both Taylor and Schurig were arrested Friday at Levine Children’s Hospital in Charlotte, where their son is being treated. They have been going through the process of being legally transferred to York County, where they lived and where charges were filed over the baby’s injuries.

At about the same time Schurig was in court in Charlotte, her husband’s lawyer appeared in a York County courtroom but did not try to have him released on bond.

Schurig, as promised, then turned herself in at the York County Detention Center mid-afternoon Thursday. She was given a $20,000 bond and was released when she posted 10 percent of that, according to her lawyer, Gary Lemel.

Schurig worked for the York County Sheriff’s Office and Tega Cay Police Department before being hired in Chester, where she was a patrol shift sergeant.

Prosecutors had asked that Schurig be required to post a $200,000 bond, but her attorney David Lange asked for the lower amount, saying Schurig would immediately report to York County to turn herself in.

Lange also noted that Schurig had stayed at the hospital with her baby for most of the three weeks he has been hospitalized. Schurig’s father was in court on Thursday but declined to comment afterward.

Taylor also was a police officer. He is accused of felony child abuse and neglect, and faces up to 30 years in prison. He was extradited from Charlotte to York County on Wednesday afternoon.

Taylor resigned from the York Police Department last week. Before that, he worked in Lancaster and in Rock Hill as an officer.

Taylor did not appear in court Thursday morning, but was represented by attorney Jim Boyd, in a move magistrate Judge Dan Malphrus called a “little bit unusual,” but permissible.

Boyd did not request that Taylor be released on bond at Thursday’s hearing, although that could be requested later.

The magistrate also set a condition that even if Taylor does get out on bond later, he is not to have any contact with the injured baby, 3-month-old Jaxon.

Schurig is allowed to see her son while out on bond, with supervision from the South Carolina Department of Social Services.

The S.C. State Law Enforcement Division investigated the abuse and neglect case because the Rock Hill Police Department, which ordinarily would’ve handled it, employed Taylor for years.

Authorities say Jaxon had brain and neck injuries when Taylor and Schurig took him to Piedmont Medical Center in Rock Hill on Feb. 15. The child was flown to Levine Children’s Hospital in Charlotte, where he remains hospitalized.

DSS is conducting its own investigation into allegations of abuse and neglect, which is common even when there are criminal charges of abuse or neglect filed by law enforcement. The next hearing date on the DSS case is scheduled for April 6 in York County Family Court.

(Note: Updated at 2:30 p.m. Friday, March 13, 2015, to correct marital status of the defendants.)