Suspect in Matthews shooting now faces first-degree murder charge

Emily Ann Isaacs
Emily Ann Isaacs Mecklenburg County Jail

A teen suspect in a Matthews homicide case now faces a first-degree murder charge, authorities said Friday.

Emily Ann Isaacs, 18, initially was charged with accessory after the fact to first-degree murder. She was one of three teens charged after a man was shot to death and another was wounded while sitting in a car at a Matthews motel on Feb. 22.

The other two suspects, Emmanuel Jesus Rangel, 19, and Edward Sanchez, 19, were charged with first-degree murder.

The accessory charge against Isaacs was amended to first-degree murder because of additional evidence discovered during the ongoing investigation, Matthews Officer Tim Aycock said. He declined to elaborate.

All three suspects also face an attempted first-degree murder charge.

Rosool Jaleel Harrell, a 22-year-old Charlotte resident, was shot outside the Microtel motel off Independence Boulevard. The other shooting victim remains hospitalized in critical but stable condition, Aycock said.

Two days after the shooting, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police discovered three bodies in a house on Norris Avenue off Graham Street. Police said that crime was drug-related and the suspect knew the victims.

Matthews and CMPD are continuing to investigate if their cases are related. Rangel was also charged with first-degree murder in the triple homicide.

The victims were Jusmar Isiah Gonzaga-Garcia, 21, Jonathan Cosme Alvarado, 23, and Mirjana Puhar, 19.

Puhar’s death attracted national attention because she was a contestant last year on “America’s Next Top Model.” More than 60,000 people liked the show’s Facebook post expressing its condolences on her death.

Four hours after the bodies were found, Texas state troopers pulled over Isaacs and Sanchez for speeding near Houston.

They were detained because CMPD had flagged the car’s license plate and the people in the vehicle to be held in connection with a triple homicide in Charlotte, a Texas Highway Patrol spokesman told the Observer.

Isaacs and Sanchez waived extradition and returned to North Carolina this week.

Bell: 704-358-5696;

Twitter: @abell