Crime

Boone Best Western now a Quality Inn

The Best Western Hotel in Boone, where three people died of carbon monoxide poisoning in 2013, is now a Quality Inn & Suites.
The Best Western Hotel in Boone, where three people died of carbon monoxide poisoning in 2013, is now a Quality Inn & Suites. ELIZABETH ARRIERO

The Best Western in Boone, where three people died in 2013 of carbon monoxide poisoning, is now a Quality Inn & Suites.

Ownership has also changed hands. According to Watauga County property records, AJD Investments sold the property to a corporation that lists its address as a Miami real estate investment group. The new owners couldn’t be reached.

The hotel is located less than a mile from Appalachian State University and is now called Quality Inn & Suites University. Among amenities listed on its website is an indoor heated pool. However, on April 19, a guest commented that “the indoor heated pool was freezing!”

The pool’s old heating system was to blame for the carbon monoxide that killed Daryl and Shirley Jenkins in April 2013 and 11-year-old Jeffrey Williams in June 2013. Jeffrey’s mother, Jeannie Williams, suffered serious injuries. All stayed in Room 225 above the swimming pool.

After the poisonings, the pool heating system was replaced with an electric system.

The hotel was built in 1998 by AJD Investments, a company formed by three friends, Ashok Patel, Jim Wooten and Damon Mallatere. Wooten and Mallatere had sold their interests before the poisonings; Patel had died.

Mallatere continued his affiliation with the hotel as president of Appalachian Hospitality Management, which managed the property. He faces charges of manslaughter in the three deaths and assault in the poisoning of Jeannie Williams.

Researcher Maria David and staff writer Rick Rothacker contributed.

  Comments