The front-runner to become Charlotte-Mecklenburg’s next police chief has been with CMPD for his entire career, working his way up from beat cop to deputy chief.
▪ Bachelor’s in criminology from UNC Charlotte, 1992.
▪ Master’s in criminology from East Carolina University, 2008.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
1992 – Hired as a CMPD patrol officer.
1999 – Promoted to sergeant.
2003 – Promoted to captain.
2006 – Promoted to major.
2007 – Promoted to deputy chief.
▪ Patrol officer for five years.
▪ Trainer at police academy for two years.
▪ Supervised officers in the field in multiple division.
▪ Commanded street crimes task force.
▪ As deputy chief, he has had assignments to lead each of CMPD’s four main organizational groups.
1992 salary – $23,418
2014 salary – $130,209
(Chief Rodney Monroe’s 2014 salary: $211,853)