Crime & Courts

Woman burns ex’s clothes in yard and gets charged with a felony, NC sheriff says

Prison jail lockup Charles O'Rear
The wardrobe torching happened around 9:30 p.m. Saturday in Halifax, and it was the ex-boyfriend who called 911, the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office said in a March 29 news release. Getty Images

The arrest of a North Carolina woman for allegedly burning her ex-boyfriend’s clothes in the yard has apparently touched a nerve on social media.

It happened around 9:30 p.m. Saturday in Halifax, and the ex-boyfriend is the one who called 911, the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office reported in a March 29 Facebook post.

A woman accused of burning her ex-boyfriend’s clothes in the yard wore a big smile in her mugshot, according to a photo shared by the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office in North Carolina.
A woman accused of burning her ex-boyfriend’s clothes in the yard wore a big smile in her mugshot, according to a photo shared by the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office in North Carolina. Halifax County Sheriff’s Office photo

“The couple had been in a relationship, but she decided to burn his clothes in a burn pit on the back of the property,” the sheriff’s office reported.

The 35-year-old woman has been charged with burning personal property, which is a felony, officials said.

However, she appears to be grinning in her mugshot.

A Facebook post announcing the arrest has racked up hundreds of comments and reactions, many from people who said they understood what happened, even without knowing all the facts.

“I don’t know what he did, but I’m on her side,” Renee Dockery posted on the sheriff’s office Facebook page.

“Sis went out with a bang and a smile,” Tamika Tillery-Coley wrote.

“He should be happy it wasn’t a pot of hot grits!” Barbz Womack said.

“She’s looking like, ‘Yeah I did it and I’ll do it again!,” Cheris Nicky Peebles said.

No one was injured during the incident, which coincided with statewide burn ban due to elevated risk of wildfires.

Halifax is about an 80-mile drive northeast from downtown Raleigh.

Read Next
Read Next
Read Next

This story was originally published March 30, 2026 at 8:19 AM.

MP
Mark Price
The Charlotte Observer
Mark Price is a state reporter for The Charlotte Observer and McClatchy News outlets in North Carolina. He joined the network of newspapers in 1991 at The Charlotte Observer, covering beats including schools, crime, immigration, LGBTQ issues, homelessness and nonprofits. He graduated from the University of Memphis with majors in journalism and art history, and a minor in geology. 
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER