Charlotte-Mecklenburg police Chief Kerr Putney will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. Tuesday to discuss the latest updates on shootings over the weekend that killed five people, including a 7-year-old boy.
Putney will address the media at CMPD headquarters, 601 E. Trade St.
Shootings reported in Charlotte since Saturday morning:
▪ 4:44 a.m. Saturday: A man with a gunshot wound was left at Novant Health Presbyterian Hospital. The victim, James Taylor, 23, was later reported dead. When police located the crime scene, in the 1800 block of North Hoskins Road, a second man, Dominique Wheeler, 25, was found dead of a gunshot wound.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
▪ Saturday evening: A children’s birthday party on Fieldvale Drive was targeted with gunfire. Kevin Antonio Calderon Rodas, 7, died. Two adults and a school-age child were injured and treated at the scene.
▪ Late Saturday: Police investigating on Fieldvale Drive heard shots and responded to a home on nearby Echodale Drive. One man living in the house was injured and a woman, Laquanta Franchez Young, 30, was killed. Neighbors reported it as a drive-by shooting.
▪ Sunday morning: A shooting was reported in the 1100 block of Glennfiddich Drive and one man was killed. Police identified the victim Monday as Elias Izagirre Perez, 31.
▪ Sunday night: Police responded to a shooting reported on Effingham Road, off Tuckaseegee Road in northwest Charlotte. A man in his 50s was shot, but his injuries weren’t life-threatening.
▪ Monday night: A man was injured in a shooting on Huntsmoor Drive, WBTV reported.