An infant was flown to the hospital with severe burns on Tuesday after a gas can exploded while someone was burning garbage, police say.
The incident happened just after 4 p.m. on White Aspen Place, a cul-de-sac in northern Charlotte, according to a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department spokeswoman.
Videos from the Observer’s news partner, WBTV, showed a triangular section of yard roped off by police tape.
The infant, who has not been identified, was airlifted to a hospital for treatment, but police didn’t release more details.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Police say it appears the incident was an accident and not the result of foul play.
No one had been charged with a crime Tuesday evening.