Crime & Courts

Investigators: Uptown gas station fire sparked by electrical issue

A February fire at the only gas station in uptown Charlotte was likely sparked by an electrical issue, fire investigators said Thursdsay.

The Charlotte Fire Investigation Task Force determined that the blaze at the Circle K convenience store at North Graham and 10th Streets was accidental. The fire started in the area between the roof and the drop ceiling, the Charlotte Fire Department reported in a news release.

The fire was reported about 12:30 p.m. on Feb. 26. When firefighters arrived they encountered flames and thick black smoke coming from the store on the edge of uptown Charlotte.

Twenty-three firefighters controlled the blaze in 35 minutes, Charlotte fire Capt. Jackie Gilmore said. No one was injured.

On Thursday afternoon, the windows of the store were still covered with plywood and the gas station entrance was blocked by a gate. Owners have not said when the store would be reopened.

Cleve R. Wootson Jr.: 704-358-5046, @CleveWootson

  Comments