Crime & Courts

Firefighters, volunteers to distribute carbon monoxide alarms in Lancaster Saturday

Jeffrey Williams was 11 when he died of carbon monoxide poisoning. His family hopes to prevent more deaths by increasing public awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide.
Jeffrey Williams was 11 when he died of carbon monoxide poisoning. His family hopes to prevent more deaths by increasing public awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Firefighters and volunteers will go door-to-door Saturday in Lancaster, checking homes for carbon monoxide alarms.

If residents don’t have alarms, teams will install them at no charge. They’ll also change batteries in existing alarms if needed.

The blitz is funded by a grant awarded the Jeffrey Lee Williams Foundation by Firehouse Subs Public Safety Foundation. Jeffrey was 11 when he died of carbon monoxide poisoning in June 2013 at the Best Western Hotel in Boone, N.C. His family created the foundation in his honor to try to prevent more poisonings.

Jeffrey’s mother, Jeannie Williams of Rock Hill, was seriously injured the night Jeffrey died. Two other guests, Daryl and Shirley Jenkins of Washington state, died in the same room in April 2013.

  Comments