Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools will be closed Thursday amid a winter storm expected to drop up to eight inches of snow on the region.
After-school activities and athletics will also be canceled. All programs Wednesday evening had already been called off.
Students will not have to make up the snow day. The school board decided this week to allow Superintendent Ann Clark to waive make-up days.
Other school closings:
▪ Cabarrus County Schools closed Thursday.
▪ Mooresville Graded School District closed Thursday.
▪ Gaston County Schools closed Thursday.
▪ Iredell-Statesville Schools closed Thursday.
▪ Rock Hill School District has canceled school Thursday.
▪ UNC Charlotte has canceled classes between 5 p.m. Wednesday and noon Thursday. The university will make a decision on afternoon classes by Thursday morning.
For additonal closings, go to this site from the Observer's news partner WBTV.