Welcome to another busy week for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
At 3 p.m. Tuesday, the school board will hold a work session to review a priority list for 10 years worth of construction and renovation projects. Superintendent Ann Clark wants to get school bonds on this November’s ballot, though county officials say they want to wait until 2017.
The board got a first look at more than 100 pages of data on crowding and building conditions two weeks ago. CMS has now posted that data online for public review (see accompanying box for details).
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The regular board meeting starts at 6 p.m. Tuesday and includes a public comment period. As of Friday the agenda included no action items. Staff is scheduled to report on Project LIFT and the Beacon Initiative, efforts to boost achievement at some of the district’s lowest-performing schools.
On Thursday the board’s policy committee will get preliminary results from an online survey of public attitudes about bus rides, magnets, diversity and other issues related to an ongoing student assignment review. The panel will also discuss guiding principles for that review.
The committee meeting was moved from its usual morning time slot to 6 p.m. to encourage public attendance.
And if that’s not enough, there will be forums Monday and Wednesday for people who want to talk with CMS staff and get up to speed on issues related to the 2016-17 budget.
Want to take part?
▪ The board will review priorities and plans 3-5 p.m. Tuesday in Room 280 of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Government Center, 600 E. Fourth St.
▪ The board meeting starts at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the meeting chamber at the Government Center. It airs live on CMS-TV Cable 3 and online.
▪ People can speak on any topic for three minutes. Call 980-343-5139 by noon Tuesday to get on the list or sign up on site before the meeting starts.
▪ The board’s policy committee meets at 6 p.m. Thursday in Room 267 of the Government Center.
▪ Budget forum 6-7:30 p.m. Monday at Waddell Language Academy, 7030 Nations Ford Road.
▪ Budget forum 6-7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Independence High, 1967 Patriot Drive.