Name: Scott D Jenkins
What office are you running for? District 5
Neighborhood: Pence/Hickory Grove
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Political Experience: Ran at large two years ago, strong showing but came up short. Active politically in our community
Family: Married father of three- daughter 15 son 10 son 4
Work Experience: I have worked for the government my entire adult life. I am an educated Army Veteran with a background in logistics and government procurement and business services.
1) Why are you running for office?
I am running for office because I believe I can make a difference for the betterment for all Charlotteans.
2) What would be your top priorities if elected?
▪ Public Safety and a New CMPD substation at Old Eastland Mall site.
▪ Transportation-Lets get the LYNX line funded and built to Old Eastland Mall site.
▪ More Youth programs
▪ Economic development to East Charlotte
▪ Affordable housing
▪ Bring a entertainment destination to the Old Eastland Mall site now!
3) Would you support the city's proposed expansion of its non-discrimination ordinance to include the LGBT community, including a provision that would allow transgender residents to use the bathroom of their choice?
Yes I would support the ordinance. The bathroom/restroom only if reassignment to perspective gender they identify with.
4) Do you support the N.C. DOT's plans to add express toll lanes to Interstate 485 in south Charlotte and U.S. 74? Or would you prefer to widen the highways with general-purpose free lanes?
I do not support toll lanes, the people have spoken!! The roads belong to us all!! We funded and continue to fund the upkeep. Widen the lanes for all to use.
5) Would you support spending hospitality tax dollars to renovate or rebuild the county owned Memorial Stadium in hopes of the city winning a Major League Soccer franchise?
No! however I would consider a joint partnership with the county if a firm commitment from MLS can be reached. Our Convention Center needs the upgrade.
6) Would you support an increase in the general sales tax to support more transit projects, such as additional miles of streetcar and a commuter train to Lake Norman?
No! we need to to connect our east/west corridors first. I favor voter approved bonds. We have had enough tax increases the last few years.
7) There has been a significant amount of redevelopment in neighbors close to uptown, with older, sometimes historic buildings being demolished for new apartments. Would you support more restrictions on tear-downs?
Charlotte History is very important. We need to be sensitive to the residents and the needs of these areas. I favor some restrictions.
8) A goal of the city is to increase affordable housing. In some instances, however, the City Council is asked to approve rezoning requests for low-income apartments, even when an area plan says single-family homes should be built on a site. Should the council follow the area plan recommendations or approve multi-family projects to increase affordability?
We need affordable housing for all income levels. Council should follow recommendations. I favor Multi-family type projects.
9) Should the city change its guidelines for offering Business Investment Grants for companies considering expanding or relocating to Charlotte?
Only if there is a significant possibility of loss to the city. We need to protect the tax payers. We also need more local hiring commitments with the companies wanting to come to Charlotte.
10) What makes you the best candidate?
I am the best candidate because I have no special interest but to serve our residents and pave the way for a better quality for us all!
11) What else should voters know about you?
My Charlotte Vision as your elected official:
I am running for office because I believe I can make a difference for the betterment for all Charlotteans. I am a life-long public servant. I have worked for the government my entire adult life. I am an educated Army Veteran with a background in logistics and government procurement and business services. As a current City of Charlotte employee I am dedicated to provide the best value, customer service, and save the taxpayers wherever possible. I will continue to do the same as an elected leader of our great City.
I will examine current City Youth Programs and seek partnerships with CMS and look at what can be done to improve and or expand or even create new ones. Summer Jobs and programs, internships. Our City youth are the future leaders. We must invest in them and show them they are not alone.
Slow the rate of tax increases for all of charlotte’s residents adjusted to current economic conditions. This will enable our City to remain attractive and affordable to new residents and businesses. We need to focus on keeping people from fleeing Charlotte to escape rising tax rates that many tell me it’s unfair. Yes it is true more people are coming to our great City but we need those that are here to stay. We also need to pave the way for more to come and build a stronger tax base.
I favor sensible steady economic growth and transportation plan in shorter budget cycles. This will enable our City to make budget adjustments based on economic conditions in real time. It will also enable us to focus on high priority needs first. Jobs, growth, improve city services.
As we see crime on the decline there is still work to be done to make all of our communities safe. I am looking forward in working with the Mayor, Council, local leaders, CMPD to ask questions and seek solutions to improve on what is in place now. Be an active part of the solution process to make our communities safer.
If elected I will work with the Mayor, Council, City Leaders to address affordable housing at all income levels and neighborhood revitalization. I was drawn to charlotte for its affordable housing and family friendly neighborhoods, employment opportunities. Jobs! Jobs! Jobs! We need to do all we can to bring them home to Charlotte!
I am in favor of a balanced budget for our city. I would only increase taxes if absolutely necessary to keep services to our citizens at a high level. I would also seek bond measures for major project needs and make sure we keep the public aware as to all aspects of the bond measures. What? Where? Cost? Completion? Over? or under budget?
I have attended Town Hall meetings and Forums. You spoke! I listened! I took notes! I heard your concerns! As your elected leader you will have a voice! And representation for all!
I believe our role as elected leaders: To serve and protect and enhance the lives of its citizens.
If elected I will listen and lead through the will of the people. I look forward to working with the Mayor, Council and other City leaders to the address our City’s most complex issues big and small. I believe in our City. Together we can make Charlotte at better place for us all!
Scott D Jenkins Scottj604@yahoo.com all emails will be answered Send me your tweets- twitter@sdjenkins2015