Charlotte FC

Charlotte FC finishes Leagues Cup 2025 with 2-0 win over Monterrey

Dean Smith has seen players parlay one good performance into million-dollar transfers. On Thursday night at Bank of America Stadium, his Charlotte FC reserves got their audition.

“It’s an opportunity for players who haven’t been playing regularly to put their name on the team sheet,” head coach Dean Smith said after a 2-0 Leagues Cup win against Monterrey. “I’ve seen some players have one good game and get a $10-15 million move.”

The first half proved forgettable. Just eight combined shots, two on goal, both for Monterrey. Midfielder Brandon Cambridge missed Charlotte’s best chance in the 19th minute. Goalkeeper David Bingham made a diving save in the 39th minute on Lucas Ocampos‘ strike from the top of the box.

“We didn’t create much at all in the first half,” Smith admitted.

Charlotte’s breakthrough came in the 56th minute when defender Bill Tuiloma‘s header was initially ruled offside before video review confirmed the goal. Four minutes later, forward Tyger Smalls scored off Cambridge’s assist.

“Tyger scored a really good goal,” Smith said.

Charlotte FC defender Bill Tuiloma (6) celebrates with midfielder Nikola Petković (23) after scoring a goal in Thursday’s second half at Bank of America Stadium.
Charlotte FC defender Bill Tuiloma (6) celebrates with midfielder Nikola Petković (23) after scoring a goal in Thursday’s second half at Bank of America Stadium. Bob Donnan-Imagn Images

Bingham preserved the clean sheet with another diving save in the 71st minute, deflecting Tony Leone‘s shot from inside the box.

The match served its purpose for Smith’s roster evaluation. Idan Toklomati moved from right-back to center-back. Defender Jack Neeley impressed in his final 25 minutes.

“Young lad who’s still in the system,” Smith said of Neely. “That will help us.”

Charlotte played without midfielder Pep Biel, sidelined with a hamstring injury for four to six weeks. Heavy rotation defined both lineups as coaches managed workloads before weekend league action.

Fans left early amid periodic drizzle and uninspiring play. Only two minutes of stoppage time were needed to complete the match.

“We got through it without injuries,” Smith said. “That was an important part of it.”

The victory ended Charlotte’s three-match losing streak against Liga MX teams in Leagues Cup play. For players like Smalls, Cambridge and Neely, Thursday provided exactly what Smith promised: Opportunity.

Smith took responsibility for Charlotte’s tournament elimination, citing his decision to return home on bereavement before the opener. “I chose my family over the competition,” he said. “I’d do exactly the same again.”

With superstar players rested and elimination already confirmed, Thursday delivered exactly what Smith promised his bench players. In a meaningless match, some players might have found their breakthrough moment.

MLS schedule update

Earlier this week, Major League Soccer announced that Charlotte FC’s match against New York City FC, which was originally set for Sept. 19, has been moved to Sept. 20. The match will remain at Yankee Stadium. Kickoff time will be announced at a later date.

Charlotte FC returns to MLS play at 6 p.m. Sunday at FC Cincinnati.

This story was originally published August 7, 2025 at 10:34 PM.

Sports Pass is your ticket to Charlotte sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Charlotte area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER