Charlotte 49ers Gameday
Presbyterian (0-1) at Charlotte (1-0)
Noon, Jerry Richardson Stadium
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
Radio: WFNZ, 610-AM. Pregame show starts at 11 a.m.
Weather: 40 percent chance of thunderstorms. Temperatures in low 80s.
The Blue Hose trailed Miami of Ohio only 13-7 late in the third quarter last week before falling 26-7 … Presbyterian moved the ball well, totaling 318 yards offense … Running back Darrell Bridges rushed for 125 yards on 27 carries and scored the lone ntouchdown last week. He ran 135 yards in Presbyterian’s finale last season … Senior linebacker Donelle Williams had a big game, with nine tackles and a forced fumble.
MATCHUP TO WATCH
Presbyterian RB Darrell Bridges against Charlotte’s front line of Brandon Banks, Larry Ogunjobi and Devon Johnson. Bridges has rushed for more than 100 yards in his last two games, and Presbyterian used a ball-control offense to keep the game close for three quarters last week against Miami of Ohio. Shutting down the Blue Hose offense gives the 49ers’ explosive offense a chance to work.
▪ Presbyterian is playing back-to-back FBS opponents for the second time. The Blue House lost games in 2010 to Wake Forest and Clemson.
▪ Charlotte’s new marching band makes its first appearance at Saturday’s game.
▪ The 49ers had nothing but noon kickoffs in their first two seasons, but only two midday starts are on the six-game home schedule in 2015 – Saturday and the Oct. 24 game against Southern Mississippi.
▪ The 49ers played only FCS, Division II and Division III opponents in their first two seasons. This year, Presbyterian is the only non-FBS opponent on the schedule.
▪ Charlotte kicker Blake Brewer, a junior from Concord’s Cannon School, is Conference USA’s Special Teams Player of the Week. He was 3-for-3 on field-goal attempts at Georgia State last week.
BY THE NUMBERS
2 Teams on Charlotte’s schedule that beat Big Ten opponents last week (Temple over Penn State, Marshall beat Purdue).
5 Number of receptions by T.F. Ford II against Georgia State last week. All were good for first downs.
100 Percentage of home openers won by Charlotte. The 49ers beat Campbell 52-7 in 2013 and trounced Johnson C. Smith 56-0 last year.