Duke defensive back Jeremy Cash and Clemson defensive end Shaq Lawson are among five finalists for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which will be awarded Monday by the Charlotte Touchdown Club.
Joining Cash and Lawson as finalists are Temple linebacker Tyler Matakevich, Penn State defensive end Carl Nassib and Alabama linebacker Reggie Ragland.
▪ Cash, 6-2, 210, a senior from Miami, had 18 tackles-for-loss (fourth in the ACC), and his 8.4 tackles per game is fourth in the league. He also had 2.5 sacks. He is the ACC’s defensive player of the year.
▪ Lawson, 6-3, 270, a junior from Central, S.C., has 8.5 sacks and 18.5 tackles for a loss for the top-ranked Tigers.
▪ Tyler Matakevich, a 6-1, 235 pound junior from Stratford, Conn, has 126 tackles (tops in the American Athletic Conference), 15.0 tackles for loss and 4.5 sacks. He’s the American Athletic Conference’s defensive player of the year.
▪ Carl Nassib, a 6-2, 272 senior from West Chester, Pa., leads the nation with 15.5 sacks. He is the Big Ten’s defensive player of the year.
▪ Ragland, a 6-2, 252 senior from Madison, Ala., has 90 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. He also has six pass breakups, six quarterback hurries and two forced fumbles.
The keynote address will be given by Auburn coach Gus Malzahn. Former Ohio State linebacker Randy Gradishar will receive the Bronko Nagurski Legends Award.