Virginia (30-3) vs. Michigan State (24-11)
Time: 12:10 p.m.
Matchup to watch
Virginia’s “Pack-Line” defense vs. Michigan State’s running game: The Spartans average 71.8 points per game; Virginia allows 51.2 ppg. One must give.
▪ Belmont went scoreless for a five minute, 10-second span of the first half on Friday - the 27th time this season Virginia has held an opponent scoreless for at least five minutes this season.
▪ Michigan State owns a 4-0 all-time record against the Cavaliers.
▪ Spartans senior Travis Trice is averaging a team-best 17.4 points and 4.6 assists, including shooting 38.4 percent from 3-point range.
Did you know? Sunday’s game is a rematch of last year’s Sweet 16 clash between the Cavaliers and the Spartans, who won 61-59 at Madison Square Garden.
Duke (30-4) vs. San Diego State (27-8)
Time: 2:40 p.m. (approx.)
Matchup to watch
Jahlil Okafor, Duke vs. Skylar Spencer, San Diego State: SDSU may not be able to stop Okafor (17.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg), but Skylar Spencer (2.5 bpg) is among many on the Aztecs who will try to contain him.
▪ Duke’s 63.0 shooting percentage in its win against Robert Morris was just shy of the highest field goal percentage shot by a Duke team in an NCAA tournament game. On March 22, 1963 against Southern Illinois, the Blue Devils shot 63.2 percent for the school record.
▪ With five assists in Friday’s game, Duke senior Quinn Cook became the seventh player in school history to register 1,000 points and 500 career assists.
▪ San Diego State has now gone 81 consecutive games without suffering consecutive losses – the longest active streak in the nation.
Did you know? With its second-round victory against Robert Morris, Duke became just the third program in NCAA history to record 100 tournament wins.