Inside Alexander, Anson, Richmond, Watauga counties
3 bold predictions
1. Alexander Central keeps rising: After five straight losing seasons from 2011-15, the Cougars have won 17 games the past two years. In 2018, 20 lettermen and 12 starters return..
2. Richmond Senior gets back to being Richmond: There’s a lot of buzz around second-year coach Bryan Till’s team. Richmond was 7-5 last season after winning 51 times the past five seasons. Till returns a talented team and the preseason top 10 rankings are warranted.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
3. Watauga to push Alexander Central in the Northwestern 3A/4A: Watauga hasn’t won a league title since 2007, but the Pioneers return 12 starters and 21 lettermen from a 10-3 team.
Players to watch
▪ Isaac Chapman, Alexander Central, Sr., DL, 6-2, 275: Chapman had nine sacks and 23 tackles for loss last season.
▪ Caleb Hood, Richmond Senior, So, QB, 6-0, 185: Passed for 2,095 yards and 16 touchdowns last season.
▪ Anderson Castle, Bryce Satterfield, Watauga: Castle (5-11, 175, Jr.) is a junior quarterback who ran for 1,456 yards and 23 touchdowns. Satterfield (5-10, 160, Jr.) ran for 1,447 yards and 25 touchdowns.
Richmond Senior at Butler, Sept. 7: Traditional powers meet in Matthews in a potential N.C. 4AA preview.
Alexander Central at Watauga, Sept. 28: A game, though early, that could decide a league championship.
Scotland County at Richmond Senior, Nov. 2: Traditional rivals meet in what could be a game to determine the Sandhills 4A conference championship.