1. Former local prep stars now starting in college: At Wake Forest, former Davidson Day standout Sam Hartman was scheduled to start at quarterback for the Deacons when Wake Forest played at Tulane Thursday. And at Army, former Independence star Kelvin Hopkins will start at quarterback against Duke Friday night.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
2. ‘New look’ Charlotte Country Day: The Bucs will play rival Charlotte Catholic in the John Cook Cup game Friday night without two-time all-conference running back Tim Newman Jr.. Newman Jr. transferred to Myers Park Monday, where his brother, Jacob, is a freshman. Junior Quinton Cooper, who ran for 152 yards and a touchdown in last week’s 54-14 win over Carolina Pride, figures to have a bigger role for the Bucs now.
3. Rocky River’s defense vs. Vance’s offense: Rocky River, led by Southwestern 4A Player of the Year Jaylon Sharpe, a linebacker, is allowing fewer than 10 points per game. Vance has averaged nearly 40 points per game under coach Aaron Brand in his first four seasons.
4. West Charlotte at Harding: Both westside rivals need a win. West Charlotte beat Garinger 27-6 and was blown out by West Meck last week 46-18. Harding, the reigning N.C. 4A state champion, is allowing nearly 50 points per game.
5. East Mecklenburg junior linebacker Lawrence Campbell: The Eagles are off to an 0-2 start heading into Friday’s game at Berry. But Campbell is having a tremendous year, averaging 13 tackles per game.