Myers Park High still hasn’t been seriously challenged.
The Mustangs scored on seven of eight first-half possessions to roar past Garinger 48-7 in a Southwestern 4A game at Gus Purcell stadium. Myers Park, which had scored more than 50 points in the previous three games, almost got there in the first half, grabbing a 48-7 intermission advantage..
Everything worked for the Mustangs, with quarterback Drake Maye hitting 10-of-16 passes for 152 yards and three touchdowns while the ground attack piled up 148 yards and three scores on 12 carries.
The defense chipped in with Cameron Roseman-Sinclair’s 23-yard interception return for touchdowns as well.
Records: Garinger 1-4; Myers Park 5-0.
Three who mattered
Jatoine Fields: Myers Park running back led the Mustangs ground game with four carries for 71 yards in the first half.
Maye: The Mustangs’ sophomore quarterback sizzled in the first half, connecting on 10-of-16 passes for 152 yards and three touchdowns. He, like most of Myers Park’s starters, sat out the second half.
Devonte Murphy: The Garinger receiver turned in the play of the night with a 49-yard touchdown reception against tight coverage.
▪ Garinger linebacker Higee Gaskin did what no one else has this season when he picked off a Maye pass in the second quarter.
▪ Myers Park’s defense had a big opening half with three interceptions, including Roseman-Sinclair’s 23-yard return for a score.
▪ Three running backs scored for Myers Park in the first half.
▪ Elijah Bowick caught four passes for 93 passes in the first half, including a 40-yarder that gave the Mustangs a 34-7 advantage.
▪ Garinger’s Antonio Smith is a versatile player. He played quarterback the first half, then switched to running back after halftime, finishing with 31 yards receiving, 51 passing and 36 rushing.
Garinger hosts Hickory Ridge; Myers Park hosts Rocky River.
Garinger 0 7 0 0-7
Myers Park 27 21 0 0-48
MP-Jacquez Robinson 3 run (Matthew Dennis kick)
MP-Andre Francois 13 pass from Drake Maye (run failed)
MP-Tim Newman 3 run (Dennis kick)
MP-Cameron Roseman-Sinclair 23 interception return (Dennis kick)
G-Devonte Murphy 49 pass from Antonio Smith (Teddy Suakollie kick)
MP-Elijah Bowick 40 pass from Maye (Dennis kick)
MP-K’Daron Redfearn 17 run (Dennis kick)
MP-Muhsin Muhammad 15 pass Maye (Dennis kick)