Charlotte Observer-area runners had a big day at N.C. High School Athletic Association cross-country regionals Saturday:
▪ South Mecklenburg’s Haywood Ferguson won the N.C. 4A West at Charlotte’s McAlpine Park Saturday in a time of 16:08. Lake Norman’s Jack Mastandrea (16:12) was second and Providence’s Tanner Sutter (16:16) was third.
Providence won the team title with 55 points, well ahead of Myers Park (97) and Watauga (98).
Providence’s Kayla Glova won the 4A girls West race in 19:01. Hopewell’s Tasha Regan (19:04) was second and Myers Park’s Kate Eiselt (19:05) was third. Providence’s girls, like the boys, won the regional title with 45 points. Myers Park (60) was second and Hough (92) third.
▪ Weddington’s Mitchell Resor won the 3A Midwest at McAlpine in a time of 15:29. Teammates Matthew Conner (15:47) and Alex Hazan (16:03) were second and third. Weddington breezed to the team title with 21 points. Carson (91) was second and North Lincoln (111) third.
Marvin Ridge’s Alexa King won the 3A Midwest girls race in 18:41. Cuthbertson’s Sarah LaTour (18:58) was second and South Iredell’s Giavanna Sirianni (19:00) was third. Marvin Ridge won the team title with 41 points. Cuthbertson (51) was second and Weddington (65) third.
▪ Lake Norman Charter’s Izzy Evely won the 2A West girls race at the Freedom High course in Morganton. She ran a time of 19:01, to beat teammate Mariah Howlett (19:11). Lake Norman Charter won the girls team title with 56 points. East Lincoln was seventh.
Lake Norman Charter’s boys finished second at the 2A West regional with 102 points, behind Smoky Mountain (64). Brevard’s Noah Graham (16:50) won the race at the Freedom High course in Morganton. Hunter Huss’ Jorge Espinoza was third (17:03).
▪ Central Academy’s boys, from Union County, won the 2A Midwest regional at the Ivey Redmon Sports Complex in Kernersville. Mount Pleasant was third. Forbush’s Dakota Mendenhall won the individual race. Observer-area runner Josh Weirich of Central Academy was second.
Mount Pleasant’s Brittany Stanley won the girls race (18:13), well ahead of Forbush’s Kaitlyn Stone (18:38). West Stanly won the team title. Central Academy was second.
▪ Union Academy’s girls finished seventh and Queens Grant 10th. No Observer-area runner finished in the top 10 in the boys or girls races. No Observer area boys team placed in the top 10.