Weddington won its second N.C. High School Athletic Association 3A cross-country championship in three years Saturday in Kernersville.
The Warriors were led by Mitchell Resor, the N.C. 3A Midwest regional champion. Resor finished second in the individual race. Weddington had 52 points total, for a comfortable win over Chapel Hill (95) and Northern Nash (114). North Lincoln was fifth and Marvin Ridge 10th.
David Melville of Northern Guilford won the 3A boys title (16:12), ahead of Resor (16:21) and Hickory Ridge’s Alex Cornewell (16:28).
▪ Asheville Reynolds won it second straight 3A girls title. Marvin Ridge was second, Weddington third and Cuthbertson fourth as the Union County rivals had a strong showing.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
Reynolds’ Anna Vess (18:49) won the girls 3A individual title. Marvin Ridge’s Alex King (19:20) was fourth and South Iredell’s Giavanna Sirianni (20:04) was 8th.
▪ Providence’s girls finished fifth at 4A state championships. The Panthers finished one spot ahead of rival Myers Park. Raleigh Cardinal Gibbons won the event with Cary Green Hope second. Individually, Raleigh Leesville Road’s Nevada Mareno won the race in 17:46. Providence’s Kayla Glova was the highest-placing Observer-area athlete, finishing 11th in 19:43.
▪ In the 4A boys, Lake Norman’s Jack Mastandrea was the highest-placing Observer area finisher. He was 23rd in a time of 16:49. Raleigh Broughton’s Jeremy Brown won the race for the second year in a row in 15:44. Providence’s Tanner Sutter was 28th (16:56). Mount Tabor won the team title, in front of Raleigh Broughton and Cardinal Gibbons.
▪ In 2A boys, N.C. School of Science and Math’s Frank Kenny won the race in 16:37. Gastonia’s Jorge Espinoza of Hunter Huss was the highest-placing Observer-area finisher. He was seventh in 17:04. Central Academy’s Alec Merrill (17:10) was ninth and teammate Josh Weirich (17:10) was 10th. N.C. School of Science and Math won the event with Durham School of the Arts second.
▪ In the boys 1A, East Wilkes Kyle Rhodes won (17:06). Pine Lake Prep’s Andrew Guazzerotti (17:40) was seventh. Walkertown won the team title. Community School of Davidson was fourth and Pine Lake Prep seventh in the team rae.
▪ In 1A girls, Highlands’ Blakely Moore (20:42) was the champion. Lincoln Charter’s Michaela Gammon (20:53) was third and Community School of Davidson’s Hunter Cashion (21:15) was ninth. Gray Stone Day won the team title. Community School of Davidson was third and Pine Lake Prep fifth.
▪ In 2A girls, Lake Norman Charter finished third in the team race behind winner Brevard and second-place Carrboro. Carrboro’s Amanda Hickey won in 19:20. Lake Norman Charter’s Mariah Howlett (19:34) was third and teammate Izzy Evely (19:55) was fourth.