NASCAR & Auto Racing

Kyle Busch’s family reveals the cause of death for NASCAR superstar

The family of Kyle Busch has released the cause of his sudden death.

The medical evaluation found that the 41-year-old NASCAR superstar died after severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, “resulting in rapid and overwhelming associated complications,” according to a statement released Saturday morning.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, sepsis is the body’s extreme response to an infection. The agency says it “is a life-threatening medical emergency” and that it happens when an infection you already have causes “a chain reaction throughout your body.”

The statement comes only days after the tragedy reverberated across the country.

Earlier in the week, on Thursday, the family announced that Busch had been hospitalized with a severe illness, though they did not initially disclose what the sickness was. The family — which includes his wife, Samantha; his son, Brexton; and his daughter, Lennix — was swift in saying that he wouldn’t participate in NASCAR racing this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

The Associated Press reported Thursday evening that Busch was testing in the Chevrolet racing simulator in Concord on Wednesday when he became unresponsive and was transported to a hospital in Charlotte. The family later announced he died on Thursday.

Emergency calls obtained by The Charlotte Observer on Friday detailed what was happening inside GM Charlotte Technical Center the day the 41-year-old driver reportedly fell ill in a Concord racing simulator. A man said the ill person was “coughing up some blood” and said he looked like “he’s going to pass out” at 5:32 p.m. Wednesday. Another caller added that the person was awake on the bathroom floor with shortness of breath and was “very hot.”

The news comes nearly two weeks after Busch told his crew chief over the radio during a Cup race at Watkins Glen that he wasn’t feeling well, and asked his doctor to give him “a shot” after he finished the race. According to the FOX broadcast at the race, Busch had been struggling with a sinus infection. He still, however, finished the race with a Top 10 — and then a week later, at Dover, won the Truck Series race, the last race win of his glorious career.

The news of Busch’s cause of death brings clarity to a sport, a region and a nation in mourning. But the hole left in the sport — after the sudden exit of its brash, polarizing superstar — will be impossible to fill. Busch won two Cup Series championships in his 22-season full-time career. He also won an all-time most 234 races across all three of NASCAR’s national series — Cup, O’Reilly and Trucks.

Busch will be replaced in Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600 by Austin Hill, a longtime O’Reilly Series driver for Richard Childress Racing. Busch was also slated to run in the Truck Series race for Spire Motorsports; that seat will now be filled by Corey Day.

The family, in a statement, asks for “continued understanding and privacy during this difficult time.”

NASCAR CEO Steve O’Donnell told reporters Friday that the league’s leadership is looking into the course events leading up to Busch’s hospitalization and tragic passing.

“We’ll do right by Kyle’s family,” he said.

O’Donnell also said that the Coca-Cola 600 and the rest of the racing at Charlotte Motor Speedway will still go on.

“Kyle Busch would probably be pretty pissed off if we didn’t race,” O’Donnell said, smiling. “So we’re going to honor his memory and make sure people know what he was all about.”

This story was originally published May 23, 2026 at 11:21 AM.

Alex Zietlow
The Charlotte Observer
Alex Zietlow writes about the Carolina Panthers and the ways in which sports intersect with life for The Charlotte Observer, where he has been a reporter since August 2022. Zietlow’s work has been honored by the Pro Football Writers Association, the N.C. and S.C. Press Associations, as well as the Associated Press Sports Editors (APSE) group. He’s earned six APSE Top 10 distinctions for his coverage on a variety of topics, from billion-dollar stadium renovations to the small moments of triumph that helped a Panthers kicker defy the steepest odds in sports. Zietlow previously wrote for The Herald in Rock Hill (S.C.) from 2019-22. Support my work with a digital subscription
Sports Pass is your ticket to Charlotte sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Charlotte area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER