Observations from Carolina Panthers training camp in Spartanburg:
▪ Receiver Kelvin Benjamin had one of the best catches of the day when he snagged a bad Joe Webb pass with one hand over cornerback Carrington Byndom toward the end of practice.
▪ This was the last practice in Spartanburg without pads. The team will be in full pads on Sunday.
▪ Newton had a great read on a blitz during 11-on-11 drills. He drifted to his left and found his hot read – Jonathan Stewart – in the flat for a first down.
▪ Cornerback Lou Young had his best play of camp so far when he got his arm on a Derek Anderson pass intended for Mike Brown and broke up the play.
▪ Receiver Devin Funchess got a quick lesson in ball security when he had a potential catch punched out quickly safety Robert Lester. Whether it was a catch by NFL rules would have been replay-worthy.
▪ Independence and Johnson C. Smith product Avius Capers has shown nice hands and quick cuts in his two days at camp so far.
▪ Defensive tackle Kawann Short sat out with back spasms. Short isn’t sure how long he’ll be out, but doesn’t think it’s a long-term issue. Cornerback Bené Benwikere (hamstring) sat out a second straight day.