Observations from Carolina Panthers training camp in Spartanburg:
▪ When second-year running back Cameron Artis-Payne popped a run outside for a nice gain early in practice, quarterback Cam Newton yelled: “That boy went to Auburn.”
▪ Newton later asked a group of reporters along the sideline what they watch during practice. He seemed incredulous when one of the media members mentioned Newton’s footwork.
▪ There weren’t a lot of big collisions Monday, the team’s third consecutive day in full pads. But outside linebacker Shaq Thompson had a solid hit on backup center Gino Gradkowski when Thompson was running toward the line in run support.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
▪ The first-team offense missed some chances working in the red zone. After five plays without scoring, Newton found reserve wideout Kevin Norwood in the corner of the end zone.
▪ Artis-Payne fumbled during team drills, with backup safety Colin Jones recovering. It was tough to tell whether the ball had been jarred loose before Artis-Payne was down.
▪ Several veterans were given the day off, including Thomas Davis, Ted Ginn, Ryan Kalil and Greg Olsen. The entire team gets an mandated day off Tuesday before camp resumes Wednesday morning.