Man wins $500,000 dollars in suit over shootout involving Waka Flocka Flame security guards
12/19/2012 12:00 AM
12/19/2012 11:46 AM
The man shot by rapper Waka Flocka Flame’s security guards in Charlotte in 2011 won more than $500,000 in damages Tuesday.
A Mecklenburg County civil jury ruled that Mizay Entertainment, the company that manages the Atlanta rapper, will have to pay Antonio Stukes $501,000 in compensatory and punitive damages, according to Stukes’ lawyer, Adam Seifer.
The ruling follows a shoot-out along Independence Boulevard in February 2011, when Waka Flocka Flame was at the Car Stereo Warehouse near Bojangles’ Coliseum to have the sound system in his tour bus upgraded.
The rapper, whose given name is Juaquin Malphurs, was outside the store when two vehicles, one of them carrying Stukes, pulled into the parking lot on East Independence Boulevard, about 2 p.m. Feb. 16, said Seifer, of the SeiferFlatow law firm.
Stukes, an aspiring rapper, was approaching Waka Flocka to give him a demo CD, when security guards began shooting, Seifer said. One of the bullets struck Stukes in the shoulder.
An attorney representing Mizay Entertainment could not be reached late Tuesday.
People close to Waka Flocka, including his brother and his publicist, initially cast the shooting as an attempted robbery. They told police that when the two vehicles pulled up to the parking lot, three men got out and approached the rapper in a threatening way.
District Attorney Andrew Murray told the Observer after the event that Waka Flocka had been wearing more than $100,000 worth of jewelry around his neck.
According to a story in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Waka Flocka was shot in the arm during a robbery at a car wash in Atlanta in January 2010.
In the Charlotte case, police originally charged Stukes and five other men with attempted armed robbery, conspiracy and discharging a weapon into an occupied property, but prosecutors eventually dismissed the charges for lack of evidence.
A civil court later determined that Mizay Entertainment, which is responsible for the security team’s actions, was liable for Stukes’ injury, Seifer said. This week, the jury’s only task was to decide how much money to award him.
“The jury came down in our favor and really hit them hard,” Seifer said. “The facts that were in the evidence showed they essentially shot at my client without provocation.”
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.