On Thursday, Todd Boderick finally gets his wish.
After four tries to fire his attorneys, the 27-year-old Charlotte man at last will represent himself – first at a preliminary court appearance this week, then in his first-degree murder trial, which could start as early as next month.
Boderick is accused of the 2012 beating death of his 6-month-old daughter, Keyoni. Prosecutors say the infant’s skull had been crushed as if stomped, and that her ribs had been repeatedly broken – indicating she had been beaten for much of her short life.
The child’s mother, Krishay Mouzon, is also charged with murder in connection with the death.
Never miss a local story.
The couple originally told police that Keyoni had been dropped. They used the same explanation in 2010 when they were charged with felony child abuse of their then 7-week-old son. The charges were later dismissed.
In the recent case, Boderick frequently argued with his court-appointed lawyers. About a year ago, Scott Gsell became his last.
In a memorable courtroom exchange with Boderick, Superior Court Judge Richard Boner, now retired, told the defendant that he was on his own unless he could afford his own attorney.
On Thursday, Boderick is scheduled to debut as his own legal counsel during an appearance before Superior Court Judge Bob Bell. The court has arranged to have an attorney on stand-by.
Boderick could be back in court as early as Feb. 2, when his murder trial is scheduled to begin. If convicted of first-degree murder, he faces a mandatory sentence of life without parole.
However, prosecutors say the starting date could be reset because another case – the double manslaughter trial of Demarcus Reid – is scheduled for the same courtroom at the same time.
A spokeswoman for the Mecklenburg County District Attorney’s Office said prosecutors will decide which case kicks off first a little closer to the court date.
Reid, 22, was acquitted a year ago of rape charges that kept him jailed for more than two years.
In July, however, prosecutors say he was driving without a license and speeding when he caused a late-night wreck on Eastway Drive, killing two of his female passengers and leaving a third in a coma.
He faces two counts each of involuntary manslaughter and reckless driving to endanger, among other charges.