Jim Murphy of sportsbettingexperts.com has been handling sports odds for more than 25 years, and he has some numbers that Cleveland fans may not be interested in seeing as we head into Game 4 of the NBA Finals Friday night.
Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant and the Golden State Warriors are up three games to none over LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers. The first team to win four is the world champ.
According to Murphy, James & Co. face a huge uphill climb.
Never miss a local story.
Teams leading NBA Finals 3-0:
▪ Have won Game 4 and completed the sweep 66.7 percent of the time overall and 60.3 percent while playing Game 4 on the road (Golden State is the road team Friday)
▪ Looking at all NBA 7-game playoff series, the team up 3-0 has completed the sweep by winning Game 4 60.3 percent of the time including 58.3 percent on the road.
Now let’s flip the scenario and say Cleveland holds serve at home.
If Cleveland wins Game 4 and the series returns to Golden State for Game 5 with the Warriors leading 3-1:
▪ Teams leading NBA Finals 3-1 have won Game 5 51.5 percent of the time overall and 54.2 percent playing Game 5 at home (Golden State would host Game 5).
▪ Looking at all NBA 7 game playoff series the team up 3-1 has won Game 5 58.1 percent of the time including 73.2percent at home.
▪ Teams leading the NBA Finals 3-1 go on to win the series 97 percent of the time (32-1). 3-1 teams playing Game 5 at home win the series 95.8 percent of the time (23-1).
▪ Teams leading any NBA series 3-1 go on to win the series 95.1 percent of the time (223-11). 3-1 teams playing Game 5 at home win the series 98.1 percent of the time (154-3).