Observations from Monday’s Carolina Panthers training camp practice in Spartanburg:
▪ The Panthers were without their top two tight ends Monday when Greg Olsen sat out with back spasms and Ed Dickson remained sidelined with a groin injury. Rivera indicated Olsen also might miss Tuesday ahead of Wedensday’s scheduled off-day. The absences meant more work for young TEs Beau Sandland and Marcus Lucas.
▪ Another day, another long touchdown grab from second-year WR Devin Funchess. Go ahead and give him the training camp MVP, an unoffical honor Rivera used to bestow on players until several of those August stars were injured and/or unproductive during the regular season.
▪ Undrafted WR Keyarris Garrett hasn’t done a lot in camp. The former Tulsa start had a big day Monday, though, highlighted by a nifty grab of a Joe Webb pass when he went over Lou Young to snare it.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Reserve S Trenton Robinson made a nice play to poke the ball away from Sandland after a reception during one-on-ones. Robinson seems like a good bet to make the roster on special teams.
▪ The heat took a toll on a couple of players. DE Charles Johnson left practice early to receive IV fluids, and RB Fozzy Whittaker and DT Kyle Love also were taken in on the cart. Love indicated his issue was not heat-related.
▪ Panthers GM Dave Gettleman waited a few minutes in a golf cart while Rivera met with the media after practice. After Rivera finished, Gettleman invited him to join him, saying: “Come on, Sunshine.”