Coronavirus

Mecklenburg reports new COVID-19 deaths among younger adults, cases continue to rise

Listen to our daily briefing:

The spread of COVID-19 in Mecklenburg County continues, with 241 new cases identified Sunday and county health officials reporting two more deaths.

Mecklenburg County has seen a total of 8,752 coronavirus cases, according to state health data Sunday morning. The number is cumulative since mid-March.

Health officials say 139 people with COVID-19 have died locally, as of late Saturday, two more than the day before. More than half of those were people connected to nursing homes or long-term care facilities, according to the health department. In recent days, however, the number of younger adults who have died has increased. Last week, three more people between the ages of 40 and 59 died from coronavirus complications, bringing the total deaths for that age group in the county to 14.

Statewide, DHHS reported 1,412 new cases Sunday, for a total of 52,801. Eight additional people in North Carolina have died from COVID-19, for a total of 1,220, as of Sunday morning. More than 14,000 new coronavirus test results were reported statewide Sunday, for a total of 745,775 since the pandemic began.

The amount of new cases identified daily has increased in recent weeks, as has the amount of COVID-19 testing in Mecklenburg County. Health officials, though, have said the increased number of new infections is not solely attributable to more testing. Progressively less social distancing aides the spread of the virus, health experts warn.

In Mecklenburg, the highest number of local new cases identified in a single day happened June 12, with state health officials recording 383 new positive tests. The average number of daily new cases in the month of June so far is 214. In May, the average was 84.6, based on state health department data.

Mecklenburg Public Health Director Gibbie Harris on Friday urged people who have dined at crowded restaurants and breweries in the Charlotte area, or been out in “mass gatherings,” to get tested. Several local businesses temporarily closed this week after workers reported testing positive for COVID-19.

Read Next

Mecklenburg COVID-19 update

As of June 17 — the last date demographic data was publicly available — county coronavirus data show:

During the past week, an average of 118 individuals with laboratory confirmed COVID-19 infections were hospitalized at acute care facilities in Mecklenburg County. This represents an increase over the last 14 days.

An average of 11% of individuals who were tested were positive for COVID-19 during the past week. This represents an increase over the last 14 days. These data only include tests conducted by Atrium Health and Novant Health.

About 3 in 4 people diagnosed with COVID-19 locally were adults ages 20 to 59 years old.

More than half of cases have met the criteria to be released from isolation.

About 1 in 12 people diagnosed were hospitalized due to their illness. People age 60 or older were more likely to need hospital care compared to younger people with coronavirus.

Read Next

BEHIND THE STORY

MORE

Why don't we know how many tests have been done in Mecklenburg County?

Mecklenburg County Health Department collects data from local hospitals on the number of tests administered. County officials have said they do not know how many tests have been done outside of hospitals.

Non-hospital test centers and private labs report the number of tests and outcomes directly to the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services. The state health department reports on its website a daily count of the number of tests performed across North Carolina. A county-by-county breakdown of the number of tests has not been provided publicly.

This story was originally published June 21, 2020 at 1:17 PM.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Coronavirus in North Carolina

Related Stories from Charlotte Observer
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER