The Huntersville Fire Department, community and church volunteers, presented a Huntersville woman who lost her home to fire in 2012 the keys to a new house on Sunday.
Betty Patterson’s homeowner’s insurance was canceled before the electrical fire that claimed her home in the 7200 block of Hambright Road, Huntersville Fire Department spokesman Bill Suthard said.
Volunteers formed Build Betty A House, a nonprofit that raised about $60,000 to build Patterson a new home. Habitat For Humanity offered the design work and some technical assistance for free.
“The Huntersville community and many local churches rallied behind her and through fundraising efforts and hard work – were able to build her a brand new home,” Suthard said. Patterson is a lifelong Huntersville resident in her late 60s. JOE MARUSAK AND ELY PORTILLO
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.